Saturday, February 25, 2012

Waders - Patagonia Rio Gallegos

Before moving, I took advantage of having access to make an Employee Purchase from Patagonia. Having never owned, or even worn a pair of waders, this was a crap-shoot for me. I did some reading and these waders looked like a great option. Being able to purchase them at such a reduced price definitely made them quite attractive, not to mention the Patagonia Iron-clad warranty.
There are a number of size options, and merino wool-lined booties for some added comfort without adding thickness to the neoprene. Patagonia's H2No technology is reported to have excellent water proofing while remaining quite breathable. These waders also convert from chest to waist for lack of a better term. There is a suspension system that allows you to lower the upper portion when you don't need it. They appear to have excellent strength in the seams (something that seems to be an improvement from what some folks say about earlier versions), knee pads, and a belt.
One thing I did run into was the fit. Based on my measurements, I was at the high end of one size so I went up to the next size. Two things happened with that.

  1. The neoprene booties also went up and were like flippers on my feet. 
  2. They may be a little big.

Solutions and things learned 

As for the booties, if you are ordering from Patagonia, you can order your size and specify a different size bootie be added. I was able to ship mine back and for $45 they switch the booties. I feel that was fair. As for the size, I'll likely get an additional pair (maybe not quite this nice) that I'd use when a friend comes to town or for me in the summer (fewer layers) and my current waders will be great in the colder months when I'll want some extra layers.
Final thought, if you can go to a shop and get fitted, do it! I was saving a lot of $$ by employee purchasing them, and had to guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment